Pikesville Car Accident Lawyer
You can never tell when disaster might strike. Be prepared for even a potential worst-case scenario by noting the contact details of a highly regarded Pikesville car accident lawyer.
Back in September and October of last year, two fatal car crashes occurred on I-695. They were two of the 514 total fatal crashes that took place in the state of Maryland last year. In total, those 514 crashes caused 544 fatalities.
The dangers of the road are real in Pikesville, MD, and we would benefit from acknowledging them. Learn more about car accidents and how best to deal with their aftermath by continuing with the rest of this article.
Dealing with Injuries after a Car Accident Is Not Easy
Being involved in a car crash can be a life-changing event. That is mainly due to the serious injuries these accidents may cause. Let’s talk more about the injuries car crashes may cause below.
Fractured bones are among the most common injuries associated with car accidents. For example, if your arm or leg ends up in the wrong spot, it can easily fracture as the other vehicle makes contact. Even your ribs may shatter from the force of the impact. Some broken bones take a long time to heal. Even a stable fracture may require extensive rehab and physical therapy. Make sure your Pikesville car accident attorney is on the case so you can recover the damages needed to pay for your treatment.
Soft Tissue Injuries
The tissues surrounding your bones may also suffer significant damage during the crash. The force of the crash may be enough to tear your tendons and ligaments. Your muscles are similarly vulnerable to the immense destructive force generated by two cars colliding with each other. Rehab and physical therapy are also highly recommended for soft tissue injuries. But, once again, do not hesitate to hire a car crash lawyer who can secure that compensation on your behalf.
Broken bones and torn ligaments are far from the most serious injuries an individual may sustain from a car crash. However, if you were involved in a particularly violent crash, there is a strong possibility that you may have also suffered internal injuries. To be more specific, victims of car accidents may sustain a punctured lung, a ruptured spleen, and even damaged kidneys. Those injuries will require emergency care as well as ongoing treatment.
Arguably, the worst injuries that car accident victims may sustain are the ones that affect the brain. Victims of rear-end car collisions commonly suffer from the effects of whiplash. Aside from pain and stiffness, whiplash injuries may also cause cognitive issues that affect a person’s memory and mood.
Severe concussions are even more terrifying. A person suffering from a severe concussion may never be the same again mentally. The cognitive issues caused by the crash may stay with them permanently.
Pikesville Auto Attorney Fighting for Your Rights
It is easy to feel helpless in the wake of your accident on MD-129 or MD-140. Upon realizing that you are hurt, and your car destroyed, you may be at a loss on how to proceed. Despite how bleak the situation may seem; you should not lose heart. An auto accident attorney can fight for your rights to ensure you receive fair compensation. They will wage that legal battle while citing the relevant laws in your car accident case.
Insurance Requirements for Maryland Motorists
According to Maryland law, all vehicles must have a policy that offers a minimum of $30,000 coverage for bodily injury per person and $60,000 total per accident. The policy must also include $15,000 of coverage for property damage.
Maryland Is an At-Fault State
It is important for motorists to know about the minimum insurance requirements because Maryland is an at-fault state for auto accidents. Since Maryland is an at-fault state, the victim of a car accident is allowed to sue the person responsible for the crash. You can pay for your medical expenses and repair bills using the damages you recover from the defendant. The defendant may cover your expenses using their insurance, or they may pay you out of pocket. In either case, you will not need to worry about using your own money to cover your losses.
The Statute of Limitations
Enlisting the assistance of a personal injury lawyer experienced in car wreck cases is critical for a variety of reasons. Your legal representative can investigate your case, collect evidence, speak with the Pikesville police department, and handle negotiations with the other side. On top of that, your lawyer can also get the ball rolling on your case while recovering from your injuries. It is important for lawyers to get those cases started as soon as possible because the statute of limitations for car accident claims in Maryland is only three years.
Though three years may seem like a fairly long time, it can pass by quickly if you must commit plenty of time to your rehab and recovery. Avoid even brushing close to that deadline by securing the services of a good lawyer.
Lastly, your car crash attorney will also prevent the other side from using contributory negligence to avoid responsibility in your case. For those who may be unaware, contributory negligence is a legal doctrine that bars plaintiffs from recovering damages even if they bear only 1% of the blame for an accident. Because of how strict contributory negligence is, a defendant can use it to avoid paying compensation.
Partner with a good lawyer to prove that you should bear absolutely no blame for the accident. Protect your right to fair compensation by securing their assistance.
What Are the Most Common Types of Car Accidents?
We at Leppler Injury Law have handled all kinds of car accident cases. As a result, we know what to expect from those cases and are confident we can handle them in the best way possible. Some car accident cases we commonly handle are detailed below.
- Head-On Collisions – Compared to other types of car accidents, head-on collisions are fairly uncommon. Consider it a good thing that these crashes are uncommon because they are known for being deadly. Head-on collisions are deadly because both drivers become exposed to the impact generated during the crash. In addition, the people involved in these crashes often suffer severe injuries because their vehicles cannot provide any form of protection.
- Wrong Way Accidents – Many head-on collisions double as wrong way accidents. Whether due to being distracted, intoxicated, or plain reckless, some drivers may veer off of their lanes and crash into vehicles heading in the opposite direction. The likely result of that chain of events is a particularly terrible collision. Always focus on the road whenever you are driving. Take your eyes off the road even for a moment, and you could find yourself involved in a wrong way accident.
- T-Bone Accidents – T-bone accidents occur when one vehicle smashes into the side of another car. They often take place when a car moving forward at an intersection is hit by a careless driver coming from another lane. The crash occurred because only one of those vehicles was supposed to be moving at the time. These T-bone accidents are right up there with head-on collisions in terms of how deadly they are. Keep yourself safe from them by always being mindful of your surroundings.
- Rear-End Accidents – While stopped at an intersection, a car coming from behind may hit your vehicle. That is a prime example of a rear-end car accident. Rear-end car crashes typically are not as bad as some of the other accidents we have detailed here. Even so, these accidents can still cause whiplash as well as head and neck injuries. Get your lawyer in Pikesville involved so you can recoup compensation following the collision.
- Distracted Driving Accidents – Distracted drivers are responsible for causing numerous accidents. According to statistics provided by Zero Deaths Maryland, 50,882 crashes involving distracted drivers were recorded in the state back in 2021. The dangers of distracted driving cannot be overstated, and we must acknowledge them fully.
- Fatal Car Accidents – When two vehicles collide at high speeds, fatalities are almost inevitable. Therefore, always exercise caution whenever you are on the road to avoid a tragic accident.
- Hit and Run Accidents – If you were recently involved in a hit and run accident, you may not know where to seek help. In that scenario, your car accident lawyer in Pikesville can offer guidance and assistance. Your lawyer can work with law enforcement to identify your assailant. Should the attempts to identify your assailant fail, you can still file a claim with your insurer. Get your lawyer involved so they can secure the payout from your insurer quickly.
- Aggressive Driving Accidents – Overly aggressive drivers are difficult to deal with. Unfortunately, their reckless driving endangers themselves and everyone around them. Take legal action against the overly aggressive driver who caused your accident. Hold them responsible for their displays of reckless behavior.
- Taxi Accidents and Rideshare Accidents – Car accidents may also involve taxis, shuttles, rental limousines, and ridesharing vehicles. These accidents are more complicated because you may need to take legal action against the driver and/or their employer. Companies you may deal with include All-Star Taxi, Valley Cab, and Royal Sedan. The services of a car accident attorney in Pikesville will be critical if you are trying to secure compensation from one of those companies.
- Company Vehicle Accidents – Lastly, you may also end up in a car accident involving a company vehicle. Similar to a taxi accident, you may deal with more than another driver if the vehicle that caused your crash is for business. Seeking compensation from the company that owns the vehicle is also likely necessary.
Understanding Settlements and Car Crash Compensation
Several factors will play a role in determining the settlement you receive as compensation for your car accident. Among the factors that matter the most are the injuries you sustained during the accident. The settlement awarded to you should cover all of your medical expenses related to the crash. In addition, it should cover your current and future expenses if you need ongoing care.
When car accident victims are injured, they are likely to receive a settlement offer of at least $30,000. In contrast, car accident victims who suffer no injuries are more likely to receive around $17,000 in compensation. If your accident took place around Pikesville or any other part of Maryland, you also must remember that contributory negligence can play a role in determining your settlement offer. Therefore, you must make it clear to the court that you bear no blame for the accident because you will likely miss out on compensation otherwise.
Pikesville, Maryland, provides an ideal environment for raising a young family. The town boasts one of the best communities in all of Maryland, and you can feel good about your kids growing up in that environment. Niche.com also notes that Pikesville has above-average public schools, so securing high-quality education for your children will not be an issue.
This Maryland town is also a great place to live for anyone who enjoys spending time outdoors. Hang out at one of the parks during the weekend and mingle with your neighbors. You can also explore some of the great trails Pikesville has to offer and develop an even deeper appreciation for the town in the process.
Contact Leppler Injury Law Today
Attorney John Leppler is ready to assist you in your time of greatest need. Reach out to us at Leppler Injury Law after your car accident, and we will take care of the rest. Focus on your recovery while we manage your case.
Some of the locations our Pikesville car wreck lawyer serves include Towson, Baltimore, Lutherville-Timonium, Owings Mills, and more.