How to Choose the Best Baltimore Personal Injury Lawyer
Choosing a Baltimore personal injury lawyer is one of the most important decisions you will make after being involved in an accident. You need to find an attorney who has experience handling similar legal issues and who will be able to provide you with the best possible legal representation. You also want to make sure that the person you hire will work hard on your case so that you can receive maximum benefits from any settlement or verdict that might result.
What Is a Personal Injury Lawyer?
A personal injury lawyer is an attorney who helps injured people get fair compensation for their injuries. They help people who have been hurt by another person’s negligence or wrongdoing. Your personal injury lawyer will advise you whether you should file a personal injury claim or a personal injury lawsuit.
Filing a personal injury Lawsuit
The term personal injury lawsuit or “filing suit” refers to a legal proceeding where one party sues another over alleged injuries caused by the other’s negligence. A personal injury case can be brought against any number of parties including persons, corporations, insurance companies, and government entities. In some cases, it may even involve suing multiple parties (i.e. suing multiple defendants).
A personal injury lawsuit involves suing a defendant or multiple defendants in court over injuries sustained as a result of the defendant’s negligence. In most cases, if you are able to prove that the defendant was at fault for causing your accident, then you can recover money through this type of legal proceeding.
A lawsuit is almost always needed, because you and your lawyer will unlikely be offered a fair and reasonable pre-lawsuit settlement. Thus, you will then need to file a formal personal injury claim in court. This must be done within three years of when your cause of action accrued (i.e. when the accident happened).
Filing a lawsuit doesn’t mean that your case is going to trial. What it does is show the insurance company that you are serious about your claim and want to make sure a full settlement is offered. The insurance company is forced to deal with the claim and not just ignore it.
Types of Accidents that require the help of a Personal Injury Lawyer
If you were injured in a car accident , trucking accident, motorcycle accident, slip & fall incident, pedestrian accident, dog bite, medical malpractice, premises liability, negligent security and inadequate security, or wrongful death, you should consult a personal injury attorney who specializes in these types of accidents. These attorneys know what laws apply to each particular kind of accident and they also understand the different kinds of damages available to victims of various types of accidents. They also know how to negotiate fair settlements on behalf of their clients.
Benefits of working with a Personal Injury Lawyer
If you’ve been injured in a motor vehicle accident, slip and fall or other types of accidents, it is important that you work with an experienced attorney who can represent you during negotiations with insurance companies and at trial if necessary. A good personal injury law firm will be able to provide these services:
- File claims against responsible parties’ insurers
- Collect all pertinent documents including the police report and medical records
- Assist you through the entire legal process
- Help you recover medical expenses
- Negotiate settlements on your behalf
- Provide emotional support throughout the ordeal
- Go to trial in front of a judge or jury, if necessary
A personal injury lawsuit may not always settle out-of-court. If you are unable to reach a fair settlement agreement with the defendant, then you’ll need to take your case all the way to court.
Choosing the Right Personal Injury Lawyer for Your Situation
Choosing the right personal injury attorney is important because you want the best representation possible. When looking for a personal injury attorney, there are several things that you should consider. These include experience and availability, and reputation. If you don’t know where to start, here are some tips that may be helpful.
- Ask friends or family members if they can recommend anyone. You might not realize that your friend or relative might have had both good or bad experiences with a lawyer. They can give you an idea of the quality of the lawyer’s work.
- Asking a lawyer you may know from a different practice specialty could also be a good resource. Check online reviews of attorneys. Google My Business is today’s favorite for reading online testimonials and researching attorneys in your local area. There are legal sites such as Avvo, which provides ratings based on consumer feedback, allowing users to search through thousands of law firms across America. Clients rate each firm according to its professionalism and overall satisfaction.
- Look for lawyers who specialize in personal injury. Make sure their website reflects this specialty.
- Make sure your personal injury lawyer has extensive experience negotiating with insurance companies, as well as extensive trial experience. Remember, every case does not settle and you need an attorney that has a successful track record with trial outcomes.
- Call or log in to the Maryland State Bar Association (MSBA.org) to make sure the lawyer you are considering is in good standing. Lawyers cannot represent themselves in court unless they are licensed by the state bar association. Another good source is to search First Name/Last Name on the Maryland Courts website https://www.courts.state.md.us/lawyers/attylist
- Make sure the potential lawyer works on a contingency basis. This is standard industry practice for car accident personal injury lawyers. Contingency means that the lawyer only gets paid if he wins money for his client (i.e. the personal injury lawyer only gets paid if there is a settlement for his client or a trial award for his client).
- Ask the lawyer to provide references. A satisfied client is the best endorsement for what to expect for your case.
- Contact the Better Business Bureau. BBBs maintain databases that contain detailed reports about businesses nationwide. Their goal is to protect consumers from unscrupulous business operators.
- Check online directories. There are several reputable sources available through which you can find local lawyers. For example, Martindale.com lists over 10 million active US lawyers. Other popular resources include Avvo.com, Superlawyers.com and Expertise.com
- Take advantage of free consultations, where lawyers will evaluate your case without charging you anything up front. Take notes during these meetings and ask for specifics on how much it would cost in legal fees should you decide to hire him as your personal injury lawyer.
- Decide which attorney you feel most comfortable with based on their personality and how well they answer your questions during the initial meeting.
Working with the Law Office of John J. Leppler
Baltimore personal injury lawyer John J. Leppler would love to speak with you about your situation. John turns all of the uncertainties into a plan—a plan that supports your recovery and holds negligent people and companies accountable for the actions that led to your injuries. John will fight hard to get you the maximum compensation you deserve!
Our clients receive personalized attention and excellent results. John will work directly with you and is available to you 24/7 for fast answers and quick information. If you’re looking for a top-notch personal injury lawyer and proven track record, who cares deeply about helping others, then call John today at (443) 955 – 1989 for a FREE Consultation.